07 November 2012

Kick'n November with some sketchbook exerpts

  Not much to say with this sketch dump, really.

This is  a variation on Niccolaides' "Daily composition" exercise from "The Natural Way to Draw" (kickass book, by the way), albeit in comic strip form. 
  The Daily composition is a 15 minute sketch from memory of any scene seen during the past 24 hours. Nothing fancy, nothing precious, nothing to be shared: just do it and move on to the next.
  So Why not a daily 3 panel strip, and train that old brain to think visually and sequentially? Unlike autobiographic strips like James Kochalka's American Elf, the daily strip is not really for sharing (not yet, anyway), more of a variation on a theme. *
  


I can't say I'm really happy with what I'm turning out right now, BUT
 to paraphrase Fredrick Nietzsche: "Art is something to be surpassed".


*For those of you curious as to what the strip is portraying, a co-worker had come in that day in a dirty T-shirt, claiming somebody stole his laundry. Since the Michaels' hit squad comes out of the walls if you aren't to dress code, I hiked over to Macy's and got him an $8 work shirt from the clearance rack. 
   If I ever get hired at Dreamworks I hope I don't have to buy people clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment