24 June 2010

Some Sketchbook

Yesterday I completed an approximately150 page 8 1/2" x 11" sketchbook, so the laws of the internet require I post pages from it.
It's infuriating to see other "sketchbook excerpts" from the veterans and established pros, which look like ready-to frame full renderings rather than the general musings and brainfarts my pages tend to be , in short, these images are the ones that don't look like loose pen scribblings or overly smudged pencil thingies.
Sketches and studies aren't so much finished pictures (at least that's how it is in my case) as a medium for more fully understanding the subject, which might make blog posts about sketchbooks venues for more fully understanding my skill set and it's shortcomings. Do you see alot of com-positionally conscious studies or animals? I don't. So next sketchbook I'm hitting the damn zoo.
This was a study of my local mission to get a feel for Spanish architecture for a project I'm working on. As you can see by the state of the bench, I get bored easily.
Actually, I carry two sizes of sketchbook, the large 8 1/2"x11" and some manner of pocket sketchbook. The pocket sketchbook is handy in places like restaurants , during church or waiting in line when I'd just look stupid with a big ol' clunker in my lap.



This is Tiffany, she's a great model since she's always handy and usually stays so still. Sometimes I check for a pulse.
Here's the least scribbly thing in the book. Mostly it was me in a waiting room, bored as hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment