19 September 2010

1 Month, Flat


... That's how long it took me to finish this midsize moleskine sketchbook I revived for my birthday. I started it this August and finished the sucker two days ago.




I went and got a Zoo membership, so I've been doing stuff like this 2-3 times a week to bone up on my animal-drawing skills.



Drawing in china marker is like drawing with rocks tied to your fingers. You can't focus on those lovely, tiny little details and are forced to think in terms of shape and gesture. Like pen, it doesn't erase, so I find it suitable for quick-sketching.

...And here's a little modeling ("shading") practice for those of you who think I'm all gesture and mouth.

Plus I've started studying anatomy. By "Study" I mean "copying stuff out of books", by "books" I mean the anatomy chapters in "Figure Drawing for All it's Worth" by the incomparable Andrew Loomis(and that's just for starters).

I've been doing a bit more sketching from TV. I've complained before about the difficulties in getting a gesture from television. But, to paraphrase the great philosophical Brain Trust of our time, Devo(well, maybe my parent's time): When a challenge comes a long...

... Whip it, whip it good.

No comments:

Post a Comment